Steve Charters Msc MAPM CEng - retired
- Steve Charters was an international risk management consultant, offering specialist risk management consultancy and training across the globe, at both strategic and tactical levels. Steve was well-versed in current developments in the field of risk management. He combined this with a strong focus on customer requirements and with a determined approach to overcoming barriers to implementation.
- Steve conducted successful consulting assignments in a wide variety of industries, including aerospace, mining, construction and power generation/distribution. His assignments ranged from facilitation of individual risk workshops through to major strategic studies, focused on assessing risk process effectiveness and delivering subsequent improvement through training, process re-design and tool deployment.
- Before he moved into consultancy, Steve was Head of Risk Knowledge Management at Rolls-Royce plc, a pioneering role where he had led the initial implementation of enterprise-wide risk management software and the design of risk knowledge-bases.
- In previous roles he initiated the adoption of more methodical approaches to Marketing and Stategic Planning.
- He established Etimos Ltd. to develop and deliver better risk and planning processes to help organisations meet their objectives more reliably. Etimos's approach was based on finding synergies between different processes such that they work better together and, at the same time, reduce their cost of operation. Etimos has now ceased trading on Steve's retirement.
- Steve was a regular contributor at professional conferences and meetings, having presented at the Project Management Congress in Athens, the APM Risk SiG and at the AIRMIC annual conference.
- Steve won the Risk Doctor poetry competition in 2005, based on poems on the theme of risk management. Anyone who deduces from this that Steve is some sort of renaissance man clearly has not heard him play the mandolin.
|Steve presenting at a workshop session at the 2007 AIRMIC Conference
|A highly experienced senior executive specialising in risk management, project & business change management and in strategic planning. Had considerable experience of working within a world- renowned global aviation supplier. Thrived on new challenges, was (still is) a collaborative team player and people manager and is culturally sensitive. Particularly interested in the effective use of IT, is highly analytical and tenacious in delivering effective change through Programme Management.
- Operates with a high level of integrity in variety of cultural situations.
- A team player who takes a collaborative approach to working with people.
- An articulate communicator using both formal presentations and the written word.
Risk Management Processes, Tools & Techniques
- Subject matter expert on risk management. Assessed new developments in risk and knowledge management and devised strategy to deploy them effectively across Rolls-Royce globally.
- Developed a risk maturity model and associated metrics. Assessed the health of the risk process within project or businesses, recommended improvements and demonstrated tangible benefits of risk management.
- Developed the concept of a risk knowledge base, including a categorisation structure. An effective risk knowledge base helps prevent repetition of past mistakes and provides access to assessment and treatment strategies that are proven to work.
- Drove through the evaluation and approval of deployment of the Active Risk Manager (ARM) software and led the programme to configure and deploy the first wave of the software. Involved supplier management, requirements definition, scheme approval and design of training and support.
- Delivered conceptual designs to apply ARM to a variety of risk-related applications, including Business Continuity and Insurance. This identified several opportunities to reduce costs.
Project & Business Change Management
- Led a major company-wide change programme in Risk Management, improving levels of compliance, consistency and engagement of staff.
- Recently obtained an MSc in Project Management, winning the course prize for best dissertation.
- Launched the 'One Plan' approach, based on Hoshin Kanri principles, in an operating division. Hoshin Kanri is a process of deploying meaningful objectives throughout an organisation, aimed at delivering its overall goals. In this case the overall goal was to deliver an £18m improvement in performance. This objective was further supported by the implementation of Integrated Programme Management (IPM), which improved the delivery of committed improvement activity, particularly in areas that were unaccustomed to project management principles.
- Used programme management principles when implementing ARM & IPM, including Work Breakdown Structure design, earned value reporting, requirements management & project reviews.
- Chaired the EXMAR club, made up of 10 major British companies plus participation from the UK government and three consultancy suppliers. Overcame several serious problems with funding and suppliers to enable the development of a prototype expert system to support marketing planning.
- Pioneered the use of Visual Interactive Modelling in Rolls-Royce to improve the design, evaluation and effectiveness of proposed investment in manufacturing cells based on the use of new technology.
- Introduced new sub- contracting and agency arrangements to handle an increase in engineering workload without a corresponding increase in permanent headcount.
- Managed the production of a Business Unit's inputs to the company's strategic plan, which were aimed at achieving a doubling of market share over 5 years.
- Produced a joint forecast of the China 100-seat airliner market with representatives of the Chinese aviation industry.
- Delivered accurate market forecasts of a downturn, counter to the prevailing mood of optimism in the company and its customers. The company prepared for the consequences and enhanced its reputation with major aircraft manufacturers when the forecast was demonstrated to be accurate.